Friday, July 29, 2011

the big day

Update, August 12:  here we are, having done the deed!

Those zebras are going to have to wait yet another week, because suddenly, after 20 years and two children together, my beloved and I decided to tie the knot----you know, officially and publicly, with a license---because who knows how long same-sex marriage will stay legal in DC., and who knows how long until it's legal in Maryland?  So the big day will take place down in the big city and the ceremony has been hastily cobbled together this week around the theme of  "unconventional"--best expressed by our 8-year-old son's decision to wear a black tuxedo, accessorized with a sombrero.  Really.

Here are words I find appropriate on such a momentous little occasion.  I just read that e. e. cummings was criticized for his failure to grow as a poet, and one reviewer called him "a case of arrested development."  But I'm with Edward Estlin: I say that keeping that beginner's wonder at "the root of the root and the bud of the bud" through decades is what grows the tree called life [called love] so sky high.

[i carry your heart with me(i carry it in]

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
....................................i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

~ e.e. cummings


Visit Kate for more poetry love at Book Aunt, and think of me and Fiona, the Spice Girls (spouse girl + spouse girl = Spice Girls) on Saturday morning!

12 comments:

  1. Heidi, friend, I am so thrilled for you. Big congrats!

    Thanks for sharing this poem. What's the point in e.e. changing things up when no one did (or does) poetry like him.

    My favorite lines: and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
    and whatever a sun will always sing is you

    Sending big, happy hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, darlings. So happy for you! Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I feel like I am in the middle of a very special event, and I am! Enjoy the day, I do want to see a pic of the sombrero on the tux wearing gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect poem! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your so special way to celebrate 20 years. I hope there is lots of sombrero throwing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many many congratulations, on your 20 years and on another new beginning tomorrow! Blessings of happiness to all of you! A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful beautiful poem. I am a huge fan of e.e. cummings but for some reason I haven't had a chance to really read this one yet. Touched my soul today.

    And Congratulations are in order! Thank you so much for being generous in sharing with us your wonderful news! To carrying one's heart within - the deepest secret nobody knows. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to be coming to this so late, but please add my CONGRATULATIONS! to the mix. I'm so happy that people can now openly share their love for, and commitment to, each other.

    And like Laura, I love the moon and sun lines.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi,
    Congratulations and what a beautiful poem you have chosen to reflect your lives. May you have the moon and the stars always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just returned from a lengthy vacation to read this. I'm so absolutely thrilled for you and your family. I hope it's memorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A belated, but heartfelt congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats and Huzzah and as Jeannine said -- here's hoping there was (and is) lots of sombrero tossing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!