Friday, April 17, 2015

poetry cubed

Matt Forrest Esenwine:
"So for this contest, I’ve taken the basic premise of the TV show and applied it to poetry – but without the dejected countenances and broken dreams. I call it “Poetry…Cubed!” Here’s how it works:

 
  • Use the 3 images (“cubed,” get it??) below as inspiration to write a poem. (simple so far, yes?)
  • The poem can be any form, any number of lines, rhyming or not. (also simple, yes?)
  • The only hitch is that you need to include a reference to all three images in the poem – either via concrete imagery or something more abstract. (Heck, it’s poetry, so feel free to stretch the boundaries!)"
I like Matt and I like "Chopped!"  The first time I saw this cooking concept on TV was in England in the 90's on a show called "Ready, Steady, Cook!"  I even got to sit in the studio audience once while it was filmed, hoping that me and my bag of ingredients would be chosen to come on stage.

Above are the three images Matt has chosen.  I'm going to go for it right now, this morning, and see what happens--I'm thinking of Erica Jong and calling this thing I do "the draftless luck"--from nothing to published piece in one flighty leap!

Honeycube

hot wheels of
yellow nectar

bee rumbles
rumblehums
along
a long low road

bee blazes a trail
towards one red center
in the distance

bee lights
lights up
lights upon it

tiny monster
stalking pollen
in the theater
of green

HM 2015
all rights reserved

******************
There's my entry, Matt!  The round-up is at Life on the Deckle Edge with the ever-delightful Robyn Hood Black.




10 comments:

  1. Nice! I would definitely vote for you to move on to the next round...if there WAS a next round. ;) If you'd like, I'll copy this and share it with the others on April 28!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I love the way you combined "ingredients" from all three images into one delightful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! Matt, I just added a title. Yes, do share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. --"rumblehums" and "the theater of green" - terrific stuff. And the title! Honeycubes! You must have poured inspiration over your corn flakes this morning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn reminded me, I didn't mention this but I loved 'rumblehums!' Great word.

      Delete
  5. Fun! So much to love--especially "hot wheels of yellow nectar" and "theater of green." Your flighty leap landed well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one, Heidi! That`s a very fun game, Matt. I often think about doing that with random words but pictures is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, Heidi. That was one heck of a leap from muse to page! Buzzy awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!