Friday, August 18, 2017

more swappiness

A welcome to Poetry Friday here
I'm pressed for time today:  guests and a birthday celebration this weekend, plus the last of my summer break and the last of packing for college, and Daisy is enforcing a VERY gentle pace on that.

So all I'll do this morning is share the glorious gifts of my most recent two Summer Poetry Swappers so all can appreciate them along with me.  I won't have time to get around and comment, I think, so feel free to glance and go.  : )



Brenda Davis Harsham sent a small but special treasure, this handpainted haiku:


 I adore the "clamshell clouds" so much that would have been poem enough, but then the golden seagull footprints and the taunting waves give us the down and out perspectives to go with the up!  Fancy making time to paint--thanks, Brenda!

From Buffy Silverman I received a poem custom-written for me.  Little does she know (or maybe she does...how?) that I worked with an ESOL teacher this past year to establish the Early Bird Garden Club at my school, a free weekly morning club that involved about 40 1st and 2nd graders in building and planting a wee vegetable garden in a disused courtyard.  I've been visiting it regularly this summer to keep it watered and tended, so Buffy's poem is almost excruciatingly fitting.  And look at that photo!


I'm a lucky person to receive this goodness, and it ain't over yet!  That's right, there's one more swap and five days of summer break left for me.

Enjoy the other offerings over at A Journey Through the Pages with Kay McGriff, a first-time host.  Thanks, Kay!

12 comments:

  1. Golden gifts, Heidi! Buffy's photo/poem touches my heart. I'm sure you are busy these days, with getting ready for Daisy to stretch and unfold. Hugs to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two nourishing & beautiful works of visual art & literary art make it impossible for me to pass by without an, Oh! My!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo Jan, Oh MY! what beautiful gifts to you. Clamshell clouds....like clamshell strawberries and blueberries. Oversized and sweet. Oh, that I could be such a kind gardener of children...what a great offering today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that in all the busy-ness there is a quietness and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Buffy's poem that fits you so well, opening your garden door for more students to nurture. Brenda's haiku is inviting me to relax and think of the beach. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the joy of the swap! Have a lovely last weekend and a fabulous first week of school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poetry treasures. How wondrous, the double-meaning of Buffy's poem, on account of your summer garden tending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your wonderfilled poems that your received. Buffy's poem opens your own garden of action for this coming year, Heidi. How lovely your real garden sounds. I know you will be the ever vigilant gardener of your student blossoms this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely gifts of poetry. I've enjoyed seeing them all summer long. I hope you enjoyed the busy weekend and the last few days of summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes, Heidi, to you and your whole family with all the topsy-turvy excitments of these days. Go, Daisy! What glorious gifts from Brenda and Buffy - and Buffy's description of you as teacher is perfect, in my mind. Happy New School Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these moving nature poetry swamp poems and art. I love the closing line in Buffy's poem, and the children will be
    "blooming in their own time."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Buffy poem, and I'm honored my little haiku is here having a summer picnic with her and you, Heidi.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!