Friday, January 15, 2016

cybils poetry finalists II

  https://pixabay.com/en/fruits-vegetables-artichoke-banana-155616/

Oops!  My series highlighting the 7 finalists for the 2015 Cybils Poetry Award is...not allowed!  As a new judge, I didn't realize that I shouldn't post anything at all.  So I've now removed the two offending posts, and we must all wait until the official winner announcement on February 14 to read reviews and critiques by me and the other judges.

However, one of the finalists put me in mind of some foodily nonsense I experimented with years ago....so I share them with you now, with thoughts of the growing seasons ahead!

  The Produce Cinquains



Kiwi:
alien green
inside, alien fuzz
outside—fruit that will never look
dewy.

Raisin:
shrinking darkly,
the grape adds its juices
to the cloud of vapor on the ho-
rizon.
Oranges:
thick skins heavy
with Florida sunshine,
so round that they resist being
arranged.


Mango:
no matter how
you slice it, the flesh around
its deceptively large stone gets
mangled.
Wax bean:
the name alone
is unappetizing—
not to mention how it looks fake,
lacks green.


Peaches:
all of August’s
sweet heat accumulates
until the fruit dips within our
reaches.
Carrot:
how can a thing
that grows in the dark be
as bright as the feathers of a
parrot?

Cabbage:
once a month
I buy one, thinking coleslaw;
three weeks later it goes in the
garbage.


~Heidi Mordhorst

all rights reserved


The Poetry Friday Roundup is with Keri today at Keri Recommends--go get a bite of poetry produce!

9 comments:

  1. Very yummy post, Heidi - thanks! (& isn't "The Popcorn Astronauts" a brilliant title?)
    I enjoyed your poetic snacks as well - the carrot is my favorite, I think. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious poems--I am a fan of Deborah Ruddell! Have some cabbage recipes: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20684235,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of these delectable poems, Heidi! Now I'm craving a peach filled with "August's/sweet heat." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your cinquains, especially the cabbage one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in awe of your first and last lines in these cinquains! I want to show these to my students and ask them, "What do you notice?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Popcorn Astronauts is such a fun, imaginative book! And your cinquains are so skillfully written... I admit a particular fondness for the cabbage one. (there *might* have been part of a cabbage in my garbage before.) :) Thank you, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought of parrot and carrot together! Your cinquains are making me hungry, but I'll confess I much prefer gingerbread to whole wheat toast (unless it's slathered in butter!) Thanks for the fun post, Heidi, and your amazing poem The Saurus on Robyn's blog! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! ... and comforting. I thought I was the only one who mangles mangoes and keeps the fridge stocked with wilting cabbages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there Heidi! I'm a round two judge myself for cybils (fiction picturebook category) - I am sure your deliberations are going very well. Love the mango poem here. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!