Friday, December 3, 2021

taking on a new form - inklings challenge

Greetings, Poetry Friday people.  Some other day when I have more energy I'll share my essay on how no early years teacher (and probably no teacher, period) should ever be expected to work alone. I've gotten used to having a paraeducator here in PreK, and when she was away for 3 days this week I got all flustered and anxious and, although I pulled it off, deeply exhausted.  (There was no sub, of course, although folks pitched in where they could.)  How did I teach K, 1, 2 all those years in all those places with the barest minimum of support from an extra pair of hands, an extra caring heart?

All of this is by way of pardoning--nay, accepting--that my address of our dear friend Molly's INKLINGS challenge is a touch less than magical.

Here was her assignment: 

 

The Magic 9 sounded good and somehow seasonal, and not too complicated: wide open except for the line count and the rhyme scheme, a play on the word abracadabra: abacadaba. I felt the pressure, but I played.

 

 

May my words magically bring into being the next poem in my December series (short poems for children, for a change)--or else a full-time assistant for every K-2 teacher.

Our host today is Michelle Kogan at her artful blog, where you can find gorgeous watercolors and good news as well as poetry for the holidaze.  Wishing a happy and safe Hanukkah to all our friends who are mid-menorah this week!

13 comments:

  1. Parapros have been much on my mind recently. I never EVER took them for granted (also never ever had one full time, just off and on in their service of SPED students), but I don't think I ever fully appreciated how they made EVERYTHING easier. Now that I'm a teaching assistant in a kitchen setting, that role is mine. There is joy behind the scenes, knowing the chef is more successful and the participants are more happy because of me. It's not magic, it's hard work. That said, I do hope the magic of your poem works, one way or the other! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you need some magic words when you are alone in the classroom! I enjoyed your poem and the magic in so many of the words in it, like alakazam, Rumplestiltskin and the words of witches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some conjuring is in order, especially with so many little ones and so few hands… Hope those revelio charms come to the rescue if you call upon them. Enchanting poem Heidi, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun poem of magic! I wasn't familiar with this form 'til now, and just may have to try it out. Love the "murmuration of big black birds." I can just picture them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magical and bewitching poem! Nice job!! You deserve a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is energy to be found in venturing into new forms of poetry. We make discoveries about the new form and about ourselves as writers. We extend ourselves. Well done Heidi. I enjoyed your magic word journey.It bubbles along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got a magic touch, Heidi! I love how you weave in so many magical references and those mysterious murmurations. And yes, paraeducators are superheroes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful conjuring of magical words and ideas, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always know that when I visit your blog, Heidi, magic happens. Today you did not disappoint. Rest, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely new poem, Heidi! I like the magical feel it gives off! As a sub, sometimes para-educators were anxiety producing to me. They would interrupt as I gave instructions (because I wasn't doing it exactly like the classroom teacher I was there for). As a group I know they are useful, needed, and actually, indispensable. But, individually, if you don't develop a good working relationship with them as a sub, they can make your day more difficult. Sorry. This was just my reality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that murmuration of big black birds, which feels slightly out of place and yet perfectly at home, too! May you never be para-less again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do love your magic poem, Heidi. Nice ring to the rhythm and use of those well known words you have utilized here! Having taught Kdg for one year only long ago when I was young, and having a Kdg granddaughter now, ( I had double the number an ZERO help ie 33) I think all early teachers those extra hands full time. (And I have often thought that these formative years are not well understood by the gr. 12 folks, well some of them, because it surely is not easy at all. I admire you for your tenacity to stick to this age group you are devoted to.) I also truly understand Carol's comment. And I think the teacher needs input into who their para should be (if at all possible). Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun nod to Shakespeare in this poem, Heidi. I always love to see the way you play with sound and language. Thanks for the Hanukkah wishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!