Thursday, September 12, 2024

ready for our close-up: poetry friday is here!

Greetings, Poetry Friday People!  May the special energy of a Friday the 13th animate you (some call it bad luck but I am a triskaidekaphile)!

I've spent this week kicking off a new round of WHISPERshout Writing Workshop afterschool classes. Our theme is TINY ENORMOUS. Drawing from the really wonderful materials and tools of The Private Eye Project, we are examining nature objects using jeweler's loupes with 5x magnification, thinking metaphorically, and writing poetry from our observations and imaginations.

Here are some photos from the first classes and a collaborative poem about the subject of our first loupe-study and drawing:










 

Fingerprint | The WHISPERshout Writers

 

My fingertip
bumps and twirls
like the feathers 
of a bird
like waves on the
water
It arches like a
rainbow, opens like a
cave
it swoops and spirals
stripes on a zebra
My fingerprint swirls
like soft-serve ice cream

Now let's see/hear/examine what you've been up to!  Add your links below, and thanks for being here.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. What a fun project. Enjoyed the photos and poem (esp. the last line mentioning ice cream). :) Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some creative kiddos--they've got great simile ideas. I especially like the swirls of soft serve ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! When my son was in an outdoor school, they used to give the children magnifying glasses for their nature studies, and it was always so exciting for them to view the "ordinary" world around them from a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those young investigative reporter/poets are adorable! And your collaborative poem is a TINY ENORMOUS triumph. :) Thanks for hosting, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to want to be a Mighty Minnow; now I want to be one of the WhisperShouters! How FUN and wonderful, and delightful to get a glimpse of the world through their eyes. Great poem; love the "arch" in it! Thanks so much for rounding up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a range of ideas they put into the poem, Heidi! It's lovely! I used Loupes in my classroom, a marvelous thing to have for "Tiny Enormous"! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The students came up with such wonderful, specific similes in the collaborative poem, Heidi! What a great learning experience full of fun and imagination. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love looking closely at nature through a jeweler's loupe. It's inexpensive fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my! I need to get out the jeweler's loupes! I love how you encourage young writers to look closely and use similes and metaphors. I used my post as an update on how we fared in the storm. No poetry was written but lots of energy from toddlers and a puppy. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, I love the Private Eye method of inquiry! Great stuff. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun you and your WHISPERshouters are having! I'd love to be a little learning alongside them! Your collective poem is fantastic!

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait for my niece's class to try this! Thanks, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. (Helping Amy LV out...) What fortunate students to be spending this time with you. The Private Eye work is fabulous (do you have the book?) TINY ENORMOUS is a super name for such a theme. Happy continued joy in autumn, Heidi, and thank you for hosting. xo, a.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a terrific FINGERPRINT poem! Well done, WHISPERshouters! Thanks for hosting, Heidi :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heidi, what a clever and fun lesson you provided for your The WHISPERshout Writers. Using a loupe adds an additional device to engage the children. Thanks for hosting, Heidi. The collective poem's ending simile is a great ending!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are the cutest afterschool workshop photos ever! But, they are more than just cute. They are ways WE can see the magic of poetry working in our youngest learners which is fabulous! Thank you, Heidi. Your work gives me hope in the nicest way. One of my favorite PBs for this age and this topic is Henry Cole's Big Bug. Keep teaching, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!