Friday, May 25, 2012

how things fit together

I'm consumed this week in finding a suitable (and yet, shall we say, practical) way to honor a grand achievement:  my parents' upcoming fiftieth anniversary.  In my search for a related poem, just as I was becoming frustrated, I found this.





































The notes say that it was composed in response to the fiftieth anniversary of the Lego patent, in 2008.  I suppose I could wish that the Lego anniversary coincided exactly with my parents' anniversary, but goodness! Isn't it pleasing when things fit together so variably, so neatly, so interlockingly coupled?

5 comments:

  1. Very juicy. I love the juxtaposition of atoms and legos. And I love the way both get at the idea of the finite combination creating infinite possibilities. It's hard to find good writing about rich, established relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the way your mind works, Heidi! This is great. I probably have that issue of Poetry around here somewhere and it was obviously a month/year I didn't have the wherewithal to tackle its contents. Happy, happy golden anniversary to your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an amazing thing, to live together so well, so resiliently and I am surmising that by your discovery, that, like atoms & legoes, there is a plan & a rhythm, but an infinitesimal number of ways to ''be" together and with others. Congratulations to your parents, and thanks Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Robyn -- I love the way your mind works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents celebrated their fiftieth a number of years ago. Still together, still happy--so rare! The best gift you're giving yours are the person you've become and your loving interest in their lives.

    Congrats to all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!