Thursday, March 7, 2013

molecular, bedeviled


Welcome, all, to Poetry Friday!  It's March 8, a date which has been International Women's Day since 1911.  If you've never explored the history, get it here.

I had planned to go broadly international for you today with a few poems from women around the world, but then something less exotic yet somehow more universal caught my eye.  It's in the title; it's in the way we all comb our hair and dreams sift out; it's in the way nothing is very serious and yet we all worry about forgetting the way home. 

Bon Courage | Amy Gerstler

Why are the woods so alluring? A forest appears
to a young girl one morning as she combs
the dreams out of   her hair. The trees rustle
and whisper, shimmer and hiss. The forest
opens and closes, a door loose on its hinges,
banging in a strong wind. Everything in the dim
kitchen: the basin, the jug, the skillet, the churn,
snickers scornfully. In this way a maiden
is driven toward the dangers of a forest,
but the forest is our subject, not this young girl.
 
She’s glad to lie down with trees towering all around.
A certain euphoria sets in. She feels molecular,
bedeviled, senses someone gently pulling her hair,
tingles with kisses she won’t receive for years.
Three felled trees, a sort of chorus, narrate
her thoughts, or rather channel theirs through her,
or rather subject her to their peculiar verbal
restlessness ...    our deepening need for non-being intones
the largest and most decayed tree, mid-sentence.
I’m not one of you squeaks the shattered sapling,
 
blackened by lightning. Their words become metallic
spangles shivering the air. Will I forget the way home?
 
************
Find the rest here, and meet me in the woods at dusk.
 
In case it's possible that anyone has missed the March 1 launch of the new Poetry Friday Anthology, Middle School edition, please visit the blog to learn more. I'm delighted to be included in yet another stellar collection of work for children and teachers to enjoy together.

I'll be rounding up in three waves today and look forward to seeing what everybody's been up to while I was "resting." Please leave your links in the comments (since me and Mr. Linky have yet to get it on).

 ************
Margaret is doing the Slice of Life Challenge at the Two Writing Teachers, and her students are, too.  Her post is a little haiku inspired by "I Haiku You" by Betsy Snider and the comment exchange with one of her students.

Laura Shovan concludes her fascinating postcard project today with a truly international post at Author Amok, coming to us from AWP in Boston.  Congratulations on finishing your 44-poem project, Laura!

Bridget has an original triolet up this week at Wee Words for Wee Ones, called Doll Making.

Laura Salas shares "Ordinary," a cinquain about a pencil which, I believe, was one of the very first poems I ever wrote in 2nd grade.  I'm sure Laura's is much better, and it comes with a video poem-starter, which we never had in 1971.

Joy joins in with a spring poem (lucky Arizona duck) and a PFAMS t-shirt!  Must get one of those for sure....

Robyn celebrates International Women's Day with her mother, her daughter, and Anne Bradstreet--by way of Buzz Lightyear!

Charles shares a sample poem from his new YA novel-in-verse, FIRST KISS, at Father Goose.

Linda at TeacherDance brings us a poem for children, or perhaps teachers, and then children again.

Our friend at Books4Learning shares an interesting review of Blue Lipstick, a book of concrete poems by John Grandits.

Myra is in with some love for ee cummings, a feeling which I carry with me wherenever I travel!  It's  at Gathering Books.

Renee gets us all whipped up for this year's March Madness Poetry Tournament by featuring Stephen Cahill, last year's winner, in a video of "Girlzilla Gorilla". Find it all at No Water River.

I'm laughing already at the title of Greg's original this week, "Sequester the Tester."  Get your giggle at GottaBook.

Julie at The Drift Record offers a short but dramatic poem by Walter de la Mare with musings on March.

Mary Lee is currently consumed by the "bracketology" of the MMPT and the 5th Grade Battle of the Books at her school, and shares a nice bit of student bracketology to go with it!

Tabatha's in with a poetic smorgasbord today at The Opposite of Indifference.  Sounds tasty...and I apologize for the mislink!

Mandy comes to us from Enjoy and Embrace Learning with poetry already from THIS morning's walk!  Thanks for sharing your slice of life.

Travis joins in with a short but extremely effective book spine poem at 100 Scope Notes.  He'll be posting them all month and invites us to join in.  I just might try it today...

Donna from Mainely Write prepares for the MMPT 2013 by asking "May I Have a Word?"

Cathy is also participating in the Slice of Life writing challenge with an original called "The Writer." Her blog is Merely Day by Day.  Glad you're joining us, Cathy!

Andi has haiku today with a flower story--I didn't know about Clivia--and photos at a wrung sponge.

Tara at A Teaching Life has a poem about daughters and hugs.  I thought I was prepared to be quick enough, but I see now how I've been slow...

Tamera Will Wissinger is in today with a poem that didn't make it into her newly released Gone Fishing, a novel in verse--entitled (hee) "The One That Got Away."  Find it here.

Linda at Write Time has an original poem about friendship. 

Diane has her usual multiple musings up at Random Noodling (haiku), at Kurious Kitty (Elizabeth Barrett Browning) and KK's Kwotes (Browning again, as part of a month of quotes from women).  Again, apologies for the mislink, Diane.

Catherine from Reading to the Core shares a view out her window today.

From Jama comes a poem by Frances Kakugawa of Hawai'i--most fitting for International Women's Day!  Find it at Jama's Alphabet Soup.

Join Matt on "A Search" at Radio, Rhythm and Rhyme today!

Amy's poem today started with a drawing; she shares the book that inspired it all.  Go to The Poem Farm for "Shell Teeth."

Violet is in today with a bit of doggerel (yip-yippee!) that crosses MMPT with an episode of the Food Network's "Chopped."  Gosh, I love poets.

That's the Morning Edition done....check in after lunch for more, and thanks again for stopping by!

Siesta time for sensible people, but for us at Poetry Friday, it's more, more, more (how do you like it? but I warn you, the video is a terrible letdown).

Liz says hai -- ku from Growing Wild with poems about late winter, or is it early spring?

Dori has March Madness Poetry Tournament jitters today at Dori Reads.  Don't worry, Dori; we're all wondering why we signed up for this crazy challenge, in some cases, AGAIN.

Mother Reader shares a poetry collection today called A Poem of Her Own.  Sounds like what I was thinking of--thanks, MotherReader!

Janet has "Mailboxes in Late Winter" at Across the Page.  It's by Jeffrey Harrison, which has me hoping I'll finally get in touch with my oh-so-important DeadHead 9th grade English teacher!

Congratulations to Kerry who's posting some poems from this month's Ladybug Magazine, including one of hers!

Little Willow shares lyrics from "Sail On" by the Good Mad at Bildungsroman.  It's not a good Poetry Friday without song lyrics, I reckon.  Thanks, Little Willow.

Sylvia has stopped by to let everyone know that there's a contest to win a free book at the PFAMS blog as well as wordplay by J. Patrick Lewis at the Poetry Friday Anthology (K-5), too.

Welcome to Keri, who posts today for the first time with her own poem about feeding the reptiles at Keri Recommends.

Ruth has a very fresh--even raw--draft to share today.  Bon courage, Ruth and son.

At Check It Out, Ms.Mac has student poetry postcards and at DeoWriter she shares haiku.

Joe points us to his site and his e-book, 101 Secrets.

Anastasia shares Do You Have a Dog? by Eileen Spinelli at Booktalking.  Hooray for women poets indeed!

From Lorie Ann we have a new haiku at Winged Words, and at Readertotz a video moment with Paul Simon at Julio down at the schoolyard on Sesame Street!

Lorie Ann's good friend Dia joins us this afternoon with a Lightning Dance , which is just perfect since I'm rearranging furniture for a seriously moonlit dance party tomorrow evening.  49 is the new 21, says the birthday girl.

Now, is 5:00 too early for a cocktail?  Not, I think, on Poetry Friday, especially when I've had a visit from M.M. Socks, also known as Alvaro Salinas, Jr.....AGAINST WHOM I AM PITTED in Round 1 of the MMPT!!!  Nice to hear from you, MM--I'm gonna knock your socks right off, my friend. 

I'll check back in one more time this evening, folks.  For now, it's time to make my own proper rounds to all your intriguing posts. 

Closing us down this evening are Betsy from a beautiful day in Michigan who shares a dandelion poem at Teaching Young Writers, and Janet with a review of Words, Wit and Wonder, a kids' guide to writing your own poem at All About the Books.

46 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that forest like a door on loose hinges! Lovely scene.

    I'm in with "Ordinary," a cinquain about a pencil. And a video poem starter. At http://laurasalas.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/ordinary/

    Thanks for hosting, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    I'll have a Spring poem up with original art and a picture of me in my new Poetry Friday Anthology for Middle School t-shirt up after midnight MST.

    Joy Acey

    www.poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem, Heidi - thanks for sharing. Welcome back. I'm in with a nod to your theme - and to my mother, my daughter, and Anne Bradstreet.
    http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=901404

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting, Heidi!

    Here's a sample poem from FIRST KISS, a new YA novel in verse, in progress at the FATHER GOOSE Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting Heidi. I'm not sure what to think about your poem. Is it about this young girl, venturing out, growing self-aware (in a more adult way)? Or is it the environment linking itself to someone young, alert? Thank you for sharing such an unusual poem. My link today is a poem for children, or perhaps teachers, then children. http://teacherdance.blogspot.com/2013/03/double-duty-on-fridays-8-of-31poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting. Please include my review of Blue Lipstick on the list.

    http://books4learning.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-friday-blue-lipstick-by-john.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there Heidi, thanks so much for hosting this week. I'm in this week with some love for ee cummings (somewhere i have never traveled).
    http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-somewhere-i-have-never-traveled/

    And yes, happy international women's day!
    The Poetry Friday anthology, Middle School edition sounds like something we should have here in Singapore! Will definitely check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning poem, Heidi. Thank you for sharing that and for hosting Poetry Friday.

    Today I'm featuring Stephen Cahill, the winner of the 2012 March Madness Poetry Tournament. Stephen has done a video of one of his winning MM poems, "Girlzilla Gorilla," and lets us know how he plans to take us all down this year!
    http://www.nowaterriver.com/poetry-friday-girlzilla-gorilla-by-stephen-w-cahill/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Heidi - I'm up with an original called Sequester the Tester

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, I love that poem. Imagine, the forest as a door loose on its hinges, opening and closing!

    Over at The Drift Record I offer up a short poem by Walter de la Mare, and I think a bit about lions and lambs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Bracketology" is taking over my life, what with Ed DeCaria's #MMPoetry13, our 5th grade Battle of the Books, and now this:

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-friday-bracketology.html

    I can remember being that sapling, but not exactly when I became one of the old, scarred trees who speak in sentence fragments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Missed you, Heidi! Thanks for rounding us up. Happy almost birthday, too!

    I've got a poetic smorgasbord today:
    http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-here-poetry-there.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heidi,
    Thanks for hosting. I love your fruit banner. I was playing with poetry this morning on an early walk.

    http://enjoy-embracelearning.blogspot.com/2013/03/slice-2013-8-of-31.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting! At 100 Scope Notes I have a book spine poem. http://100scopenotes.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-shadow-on-the-stairs/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm. Am I the first? I hope this is the right spot for a link to my poem today "May I Have a Word?" in preparation for the MMPoetry2013 Tournament. http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2013/03/may-i-have-word.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heidi,
    Welcome back! What a thought provoking poem. I loved the line, "she combs the dreams out of her hair" and took pause with "but the forest is our subject, not the girl."

    I'm excited to be joining the Poetry round-up today. It's been a goal of mine for some time. Now I've made it two weeks in a row. Thanks for hosting!

    Right now I'm participating in Slice of Life writing challenge so writing has been on my mind a bit.

    The Writer:
    http://merelydaybyday.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-writer-slice-of-life-8-of-31.html

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heidi what a charming and wonderful poem for Woman's Day!! I adore that forest scene.

    Today I have some haiku with a flower story and photos at a wrung sponge Thanks for doing the round up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting today...and marking Women's History month! At A Teaching Life I have a poem about daughters and too-quick hugs:
    http://tmsteach.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-fridayslice-of-life-challenge-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning, Heidi! Welcome back and thanks for hosting Poetry Friday today. To me, the poem you posted has almost a haunting quality to it and then it turns more light-hearted in the third stanza. Love the persona(s) of the trees. Great choice.

    Speaking of persona, today, in celebration of the release of GONE FISHING A Novel in Verse I’m sharing “The One That Got Away,” a poem I wrote that didn’t make the final cut.
    http://tamerawillwissinger.squarespace.com/the-writers-whimsy/2013/3/8/gone-fishing-on-poetry-friday-the-one-that-got-away.html

    Thanks again - Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good morning! I'm in today with an original poem at Write Time http://lindakulp.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for hosting! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy International Women's Day! Over at Random Noodling I have a bunch of haiku stuff!

    Kurious Kitty has a Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem, "Ode to the Swallow." And at KKs Kwotes there's a quote by Browning as part of a month of women's quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely imagery and quite a contrast to the view out my window, which is what I'm sharing today:
    http://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/slice-8-of-31poetry-friday-march/
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Magical and mysterious poem, Heidi. Can't help but think of Red Riding Hood venturing out in the woods . . .

    Today I'm featuring a poem by Frances Kakugawa, recognized as one of the Outstanding Women of Hawai'i for her work advocating the use of poetry to help Alzheimer's caregivers cope:

    http://jamarattigan.com/2013/03/08/friday-feast-caregiving-through-poetry/

    Thanks for hosting today and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. As the father of two girls, I think this is a great poem for young girls to read and ruminate on! Thanks for sharing & hosting.

    Today at Radio, Rhythm and Rhyme, we're going on "A Search:" http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-the-search/

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's so wonderful to have you back, Heidi! And the poem you shared makes me very happy - thank you.

    Today I have a poem that started with a drawing - it's called "Shell Teeth". I'm also sharing a fascinating new book that inspired the whole thing and is inspiring me lately.

    Happy week! xo, a.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for hosting!

    I'm in with "Chopped--March Madness Edition," some doggerel about what a March Madness contestant might feel like in an episode of the Food Network's Chopped. It's HERE.

    http://wp.me/pC77F-mQ

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heidi,

    Good to see you and thanks for hosting. I have a few haiku this morning about late winter or is that early spring?

    http://elizabethsteinglass.com/2013/03/haiku-for-late-winter-or-early-spring/

    Happy Poetry Friday!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful poem. Thanks for posting. Tried to post from my phone, but I don't think it worked. But just in case it did and you have two of me, that's why!

    March Madness Poetry jitters has the focus at DoriReads today.

    http://dorireads.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-madness.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have a poetry collection today, A Poem of Her Own, over at MotherReader:

    http://www.motherreader.com/2013/03/a-poem-of-her-own-voices-of-american.html

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love "combing the dreams out of her hair." Thanks for the poem -- and for hosting!

    I have "Mailboxes in Late Winter" by Jeffrey Harrison.

    http://www.acrossthepage.net/2013/03/poetry-friday-waiting/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy International Women's Day! And thanks for hosting the roundup today. I'm sharing a couple poems from the Feb 2013 issue of Ladybug Magazine, including one of mine :) http://kerryaradhya.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-friday-fun-with-ladybug-magazine.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I posted Sail On by The Good Mad at Bildungsroman this morning. Thanks for hosting! Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what an impressive crew gathering here today and what a powerful, tingly poem to showcase, Heidi. Extra thanks for the plug for our new middle school Poetry Friday anthology. You're the best. We've got a contest for a free book going at that blog (PFAMS.blogspot.com) and are featuring wordplay by J Patrick Lewis at PoetryFridayAnthology.Blogspot.com Thanks for hosting, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for hosting, Heidi! I'm posting for the first time (gulp) at

    http://kerirecommends.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-an-introduction-and-a-poem.aspx

    Keri

    ReplyDelete
  35. http://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-friday-puppy.html

    I've got an original poem today - a first draft, really, since it's about what happened at my house this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi There, I have two today:
    an original haiku: http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/solsc-2013-poetry-friday/

    and

    student poems: http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-poetry-postcards-getting-ready/
    Thank you for hosting today. And that poem...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi There, I have two today:
    an original haiku: http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/solsc-2013-poetry-friday/

    and

    student poems: http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/poetry-friday-poetry-postcards-getting-ready/
    Thank you for hosting today. And that poem...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Heidi, I would love to share some poetry quotes and poems with you. I am a former elementary teacher of thirty-three years, children's poet, and performer.

    This is my email address and website:

    jsottile@frontiernet.net

    www.joesillysottile.net

    Thanks for your time, and a great blog.

    Joe Sottile

    ReplyDelete
  39. Heidi, I am a former elementary teacher of thirty-three years, children's poet, and performer. I would love to send you some poetry quotes and poems. Could you please send me your email address. And, incidentally, your blog is lovely.

    www.joesillysottile.net

    jsottile@frontiernet.net

    Write on,
    Joe Sottile

    ReplyDelete
  40. Welcome back and thanks for hosting! At Booktalking I'm sharing Do You Have a Dog? by Eileen Spinelli. (Hooray for women poets!) http://asuen.com/blog/?p=1067

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you so much for hosting, Heidi.

    At On Point, I have a new haiku, Winged Words and at readertotz we have Paul Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lightning Dance, from Dia Calhoun

    http://diacalhoun.blogspot.com/2013/03/poetry-friday-lightning-dance_8.html

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Heidi,

    Latest poem in The Drawer is "Spinning Seymour" http://mmsocks.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/spinning-seymour/
    ENJOY!

    by the way - get ready to rumble on Monday! MMPoetry


    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for hosting on what is a beautiful day here in Michigan! All the sun inspired me to write a poem about a dandelion, which has been happening a lot lately. Thanks again.
    http://teachingyoungwriters.blogspot.com/2013/03/dandelion.html

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for hosting.
    My selection is "Words, wit, and wonder: writing your own poem written by Nancy Loewen with illustrated by Christopher Lyles.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Nice post, thank you so much for sharing this post regarding gen Lock universal molecular with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!