Thursday, May 24, 2018

the country where she lives


I'm pleased today to participate in a photo-poetry exchange hosted by Margaret Simon over at Reflections on the Teche.  Back in April, Margaret got excited by a photo posted on Molly Hogan's blog, wrote about it, and wanted others to enjoy the challenge.

I love writing about art, particularly photographs, so even though I missed Margaret's sign-up, I was so thrilled to join in and even out the numbers.

My exchange partner is Ruth Hersey of the blog There is no such thing as a God-forsaken town, who lives in Haiti.  She sent me the below photo of her local geography, which prompted me to do quite a bit of reading about Haiti and its history. I found myself with very mixed feelings about the photo, my reading, and what I know to be true about Ruth's experience of her adopted country.  I hope my poem captures some of that.




Journey over to Margaret's today where she's rounding up all the photo-poetry exchanges, and enjoy.  We have such brave talents in our midst, cycling inspiration round and round to whomever might need some!  Thank you, Margaret, and thank you, Ruth.


17 comments:

  1. Oh my, love this simple and profound poem of a land we know so little about, even though we think we know. "Where is the holy? I believe you are there." makes my spirit smile, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you've just coined a new phrase for a wonderful and wild land, that "lush-littered" line for Haiti and other wild-growing places. We don't know it except from news and are grateful that we have some connection to knowing from Ruth. The allliteration shows so well how the picture is filled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, oh... So much juxtaposition in word and thought creates an unsteadiness that is tempered with your alliteration. Your question, "where is the holy?" ...followed by its answer, "I believe you are there" powerfully connects back to your title giving me a feeling of hope. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thank you, Heidi. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beautiful and holy IS there, it is! It's in Ruth, and in this poem, which I adore. Thank you, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, WOW! Heidi, you really captured Ruth without being religious or churchy. She is the faith that is there along with the weather and history of revolt. I love how you wrap up this poem with the you. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a bright light shining in this poem of yours, Heidi. It resides in faith. The way your described the island is so powerful seeing all sides and then you bring it home at the end. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've said so much in so few lines–I do love how it ends on an upbeat tone as it closes–it's very syncopated which goes with the history and flip-flop of beauty and despair, thanks Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The line "heavy weather of revolt" really jumps out at me. It seems to capture the weight of Haiti's troubled history and works with the photo as well. Each of your carefully selected words resonates with history and echoes of story, adding weight to your poem as well. And then the title and ending lines wrap it all up deftly. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What everyone else said, but also I love "lush-littered" and "cloud-covered coastline." Your word choice is so obviously intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this poem! And echo everything said above. That ending is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a beauty, Heidi. I am in awe of your brilliant and evocative use of language. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditto all of the above and then some. Full of truth and love too, Heidi - I loved hopping over here straight from Ruth's too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto Robyn's ditto. I met some folks from Jacmel through an art exchange program with my daughter's school. I feel like you've captured their essence, Heidi, as well as what I know of Ruth's. The beautiful and the holy can be found as much in the present day people of Haiti as in the land itself and its history.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your poem, Heidi. So many profound truths in such a small space. Beautiful use of alliteration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this, Heidi. Beautiful, holy, lush-littered...such vivid imagery and melodic
    internal rhyme.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!