Friday, March 15, 2024

reintroducing *WHISPERshout Poetry Magazine*

Greetings, poetry people! This week my climate post is swerving slightly to highlight new poems by kids published at WHISPERshout Poetry Magazine.  I started this online journal about a year ago and I believe it's the only magazine in the US publishing work by the youngest kids ages 4-12. Often I can include accompanying artwork or photos of the kids.

I really thought it was a vast untapped opportunity for teachers, librarians, homeschoolers and freelancers like me to guide their young poets towards--kids love to see their work "published" in some form, just like we do!  But I've been surprised that it has been so hard to get submissions; I thought the word would spread more easily.  Still, I've been able to publish at least one issue per month, since there's no shortage of interesting poetry coming out of my own workshops with kids. (Thanks here to Margaret Simon, who has frequently shared poems written by her students.) Maybe I don't know how to use social media well enough to make it work!

In Jan/Feb, I ran two "Weather Words" workshops in which we mixed drama and poetry, acting out BARTHOLOMEW AND THE OOBLECK and writing weather poetry (although of course You Are the Boss of Your Poem and I would never insist that you write only weather poems!). March's first issue of WHISPERshout Poetry Magazine features seven of the poems written during these workshops.

With thanks to our host Tanita (fellow March bday celebrator) and a request to all of you to share the magazine far and wide, below I introduce you to a sample of the next generation of poets and their storm of weather poems. Go read! Comment! Help a young poet submit!

Share on Facebook! 

Share on Instagram!

Share on Bluesky!








11 comments:

  1. These are wonderful Heidi! I hope you get an avalanche of submissions soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! The 'no giggling' reminder in the storm poem made me chuckle - storms are indeed a serious business. And CC! WOW. I am heartened that Eleanor B. knows the score.
    I have a ton of friends with kids and grandkids, so am spreading the word. This is an endeavor which will grow, Cousin. Here's to you persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, what a great resource you are giving to the young poet world. All the best in your spreading the love. I will keep it in mind of who to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You KNOW if I still had a classroom I'd be all over this! Stay the course. It WILL gain traction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Eleanor...what a kid. I was on a video call yesterday with a grant provider baffled by why we grant receivers needed more time to complete requirements. I carefully chose words to explain how we teachers were all doing double duty --covering classes of those that are out, taking care of students that are out, attending meeting after meeting, community night for the kids & parents. I too have a group of professionals that I serve...I can't get anyone to "do" anything. It's just too little people for the amount of need out there. Stick with it Heidi. Things have to get better at some point. You and your poets are a beacon of light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I do know. I'm asking teachers to do yet one more thing, and still I'm hoping there are a few for whom this would be the pleasure, the passion to squeeze in alongside all the onerous requirements. I won't give up!

      Delete
  6. I'll be sure to share more, Heidi. I am still in contact with former colleagues, and I hope they will find time to help their students submit! I would have loved it for my students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun weather poems! Perfect for the restless weather of March. I gave you April 17th for Progressive Poem. I'm afraid it's not your work that is the hold up. It's the lack of poetry being done in schools. No one else I know teaches it at all unless a poem comes up in curriculum content.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing these poems, Heidi. They are creative and full of wonder. I wish more teachers would include poetry writing with their students. It was that way when I was working in the schools and I'm sorry to hear that's still the case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so great! Thanks for publishing poems from the youngest poets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the line, "the tornado collects lightning." Makes me think of a tornado as a (very dangerous) collector or junk-picker, rambling through the countryside.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!