Friday, March 22, 2024

color like sound - an animal pantoum

Greetings from the land of cherry blossoms! No, I'm not in Japan, but here in the DC area, this time of year is cherry blossom time, and in many neighborhoods nearer than the Jefferson Memorial Boat Basin downtown, swathes of ornamental cherries are doing their thing.

Twenty-five years ago we took our brand new little April Fool, baby Daisy, on her first outing--to the Kenwood neighborhood in Bethesda, MD, where the very grand houses stand on streets lined with some very "ancient" cherry trees. I've checked, and as I remember the weather was pleasantly warm that Easter week, rising to 85* on April 8.  (I note also with great surprise that the clocks changed on April 4 that year, and not 3 weeks earlier on March 9 as this year.  Who decided that, and when?!)  The photo of this event that I carry in my mind is not easily available, but an annual family outing to Kenwood became tradition.  

Yesterday evening Fiona and I squeezed in this year's outing, just the two empty-nexters of us, in unsuitably dark clothing, because after a gorgeous, too-early week of warm spring last week, the temps yesterday were in the blustery 40's, although sunny.  Yes, the cherry blossoms peaked a full 3 weeks earlier this year than 25 years ago. It seems my children's lifespans coincide with the peak of the  Anthropocene, and this is the evidence.

What does any of this have to do with the Poetry Sisters' pantoum challenge for today? [uploads Tanita's graphic]

OH LOOK I AM A WEEK AHEAD.

...

...

...

...

Friends, if ever there was evidence that I'm now fully into a new era of life, this is it.  I am AHEAD of a schedule, instead of coming right up against a deadline in a planfully last-minute kind of way, which is how I have organized my time and many activities for the last approximately 40 years.

Please raise a glass with me, because change is good. You will have to wait for my cardinal pantoum until next week (bad news for you; good news for me bc I don't feel like it was quite ready!), and settle today for these: the Kenwood cherry blossom poem and video from PUMPKIN BUTTERFLY.




Thanking Rose for hosting us today at Imagine the Possibilities, and hoping she and her birds will return next week for the cardinal poem!


12 comments:

  1. I love the cherry blossoms in D.C. When I lived in Arlington in the late seventies (so long ago!) I was awed by the trees that surrounded the Jefferson Memorial and other places. I bought a water color painting back then which I still have and love.Thanks for the photos and your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you did all the videos, during Covid time, a time we were home. I wonder if you went that year, Heidi! I love the poem, another image for seasons on the way, the "pedaling these streets toward summer". I researched the DST question. Google says: "By the Energy Policy Act of 2005, daylight saving time (DST) was extended in the United States beginning in 2007. As from that year, DST begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you for getting to this next step of research before I had time to! I remember being outraged that no one asked US what we thought; that it should have been a national referendum! And now it's so long ago that I forgot it had happened...

      Delete
  3. petals pedaling - someday I will need to see the iconic cherry trees; for now, I am reveling in the pear blossoms, smaller than those you describe - half the size of my pinkie fingernail - falling like snow in springtime Sacramento! looking fwd to your pantoum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, I love your poem, and your whole post has me excited for my trip to DC in a couple days. I hope the trees are still in bloom! Based upon your post, I think I will pack a warm coat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Heidi! I love your petals pedaling toward summer. I have one beautiful cherry tree in my yard that brings a blizzard of pink each year. Would love to see the cherry trees in D.C. some spring. Looking forward to reading your cardinal poem next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I started reading your post, I thought, "Oh, crap, I'm late!" Thank goodness you were early--and congrats ;>) Randy and I have been to DC a couple of times right during peak cherry blossom bloom, by accident each time. And it's truly a thing of beauty. I love your after-the-peak Petaling poem. Those breaking blossoms pedaling toward summer. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for being ahead of schedule! Thank you for sharing your lovely cherry blossom poem and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Blizzarding petal by petal"--I can just picture it, Heidi! Your post brought back fond memories. Our son studied Japanese in high school, and several times we went down to DC to the Cherry Blossom Parade. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! Fun that you were a week early, but you are going to make us wait. I love the stories and the cherry blossoms and will look forward to the cardinal pantoum in all its extra week of loving care. The photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pics of you out and about with the cherry blossoms. It HAS been blustery and chilly. Did you get to see stumpy? That little tree is so cute and sad. Petaling is such a great title for your poem. There is a tremendous sense of movement with all the verbs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love this poem and the video too! Thank you! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!