Friday, October 25, 2024

deconstructivism

Greetings from grantland--I'm writing like a fiend in support of tax-supported Poetry and Justice For All (and cross your fingers for success), but I have to pause long enough to join in the Poetry Sisters' Challenge for the first time in a while.  Here it is:

Poetry Peeps! You’re invited to our challenge for the month of October! Here’s the scoop: We’re building! Our prompt comes from p. 139 of The Practice of Poetry: Writing Exercises from Poets Who Teach, edited by Robin Behn and Chase Twichell, and we’re writing a poem in which we literally build and/or take apart something – large or small. Our focus will be on constructing or deconstructing, taking into account technical terms, instructions, and perhaps even material sources. A great mentor poem would be something like this, or this. Are you in? Good! You have a month to craft your creation and share it on October 25th in a post and/or on social media with the tag #PoetryPals.
It turns out I wrote an adjacent poem this week, without knowing what the challenge was. See what you think, and I'll try to make some rounds late Saturday to see what everyone has posted...I'm one of those people who likes factory tours and floor plans and detailed cooking and art TikToks.




Not my most uplifting poem, but even death must be deconstructed now and then....

Thanks to our host today, Carol at Beyond Literacy Link, where autumn abounds! Enjoy all the toasty orange and spooky scents of October. I wish I was a Varsalona grandgirl!


5 comments:

  1. This makes me both laugh and wince - it is indeed a deconstruction! We have rabbits dashing around our neighborhood just now, and I keep wondering whose are out (and why they must eat my succulents) and whether they, too, will meet a rather grisly end... I love the recurring "a rabbit - our rabbit?" because the ownership colors so much of our view on the deconstruction... ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza! A tale fit for Halloween! It reminds me of my aunt’s cat, simply named “Puss,” who would drag whole rabbits upstairs and "deconstruct" them on a bed. Now I wonder how no one ever saw the cat on the way INTO the house?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, goodness. So grisly and honest and true. Thank you (I think?) for this, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Heidi, I love watching our rabbits, but also know they eat the wires in my car among other garden things. But, if your rabbit, you've shown the sorrow and the way life does go on, without a lucky foot. What a story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!