Friday, July 15, 2022

#haikutraveldiary

 

Greetings from Seaford, on the south coast of England!  Wherever I am, wherever you are, there is a climate crisis. Would you like some good news to go with your bad news?  Try THE FIX newsletter from grist.com.  Here's the "Joy Issue."

We have been in France and now will be in the UK for all of July, catching up with our family and friends here after two years apart. In a bid to keep writing, I set myself a "reasonable" goal to write one haiku each day...and then remembered how challenging it is to write a really effective haiku.  

As I reviewed the "rules" for modern haiku here and there, I found my way to this helpful overview.  I've tried to keep it in mind and I'm thoroughly happy with...about 20% of these.  They do make a nice album, though, combined with the photos I've taken. Here are the last handful; you can see the rest on Twitter: https://twitter.com/heidimordhorst

Day 14 

white sheep white swans white horse 

concentric greens 

we walk behind the cows


Day 13  (for Juliet Cox)

butterfly on my dinner plate 

goats in the gully 

a little mild peril  


 Day 12  (for Femi Oke)

 sphaerocephalon stand proud 

around the graduation

tasseled hats   high heels 

 

Day 11 

—this door or that one?— 

friends retrace their steps 

Old Joe’s long shadow 

 

Day 10

golden anniversary 

the little grandsons 

drop pebbles in the pool 

 

Day 9

holy Christ’s College!

from the pride festival 

love shines down 

  

Day 8 

cairning 

 

under the modest sun

I melt like the rocks

 

Day 7 

center court serve & volley 

from the sofa I watch 

sparrows rock the feeder 

 ********

Our host today is Elisabeth at Unexpected Intersections, where she takes a different turn and intersects unexpectedly with a burrow!

6 comments:

  1. What a *wonderful* way to create a travel diary while also continuing to flex your writing muscles while on holiday! Thanks for sharing your pictures and poems with us today.

    Enjoy your visit with family and friends (and stay cool in the heat wave!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your day 7 haiku is an ace! Enjoy your travels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking us along via haiku and photos! What a joyous journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea and I can see a photo book in your future. I like the peek of toes and cairning, melting, ah, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you're having an amazing trip! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!