Friday, June 30, 2023

haze and heat - happy summer!

Greetings, Poetry Friday friends!  If you need a primer on what Poetry Friday is and why some of us have been showing up to it for 15 years (even after shorter and longer hiatuses. hiati? hiatusi?), you can read more here at Renee LaTulippe's blog, No Water River, and here is an article Susan Thomsen wrote for the Poetry Foundation.

I've just had a brief hiatus of my own, in part due to my attendance at the extremely informative and promising Writing for the Educational Market workshop at the Highlights Foundation last week. As I embark on this newish project of writing on assignment, let me give a shout-out to the workshop leaders--Paula Morrow, Jan Fields, Sandra Athans and Rona Shirdan--and to my fellow participants for an extended party of a very refreshing kind!

Those who know me won't be surprised that I'd like to contribute climate- and environment-related texts to the educational market. I wrote the poem below as a sample, sitting inside this week instead of outside on my porch as I prefer, to avoid the hanging haze of Canadian wildfire smoke full of particulate matter, or PM2.5 – a tiny but dangerous pollutant that, when inhaled, can travel deep into lung tissue and enter the bloodstream, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

It's not the SAME as the blanket of greenhouse gases that's causing so much havoc in our climate, but boy, is this a visible, uncomfortable, concrete reminder that climate warming is all around all of us. This has big immediate consequences, like preschool summer camp having to be INSIDE!


I did not write this with the Poetry Sisters' monthly challenge in mind, to consider this quote:

“If grief can be a doorway to love, then let us weep for the world we are breaking apart so we can love it back to wholeness again.”
                                                                Robin Wall Kimmerer in BRAIDING SWEETGRASS


But my poem does seek to carry kids through a doorway, from a familiar personal pain to a mind-bogglingly global pain, and from personal healing to global healing.

In other news, I must remark upon the joyful fact that this week, after years of imagining a scenario in which I get to teach poetry workshops as My Job, I taught the first two classes of Summer @ The Studio!  Now there's a good reason for fireworks!  Happy Independence Day, friends, and let there be liberty and justice for ALL.


12 comments:

  1. Nice, Heidi! You have some good practical advice here, and the poem gives kids (and the rest of us) a way in to understanding what's going on with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah and huzzah for Your Job (joyously well done, I'm sure) and for the contributions you'll make to The Educational Market!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAY for The Job being the position of your dreams. Definitely something to celebrate.
    Here's hoping you all get some clean air soon. Summer fires are the absolute worst, and I'm so sorry you've now experienced that too. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The metaphor of our warming world with a fever indicating illness seems SO clear, and yet I've not seen it expressed that way before. Love it. Congrats on your first two classes. I'm wanting to get more/back to teaching some poetry, but am overwhelmed at the thoughts of organizing it, platforms, marketing, etc. I hope your Studio does brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi, that's so great you were able to spend time at Highlights...go, you, with your ed market writing and with your teaching workshops! Lucky kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Highlights is always a grand, inspiring time. That's wonderful that you're going to do some science books, Heidi. I like the analogy of your poem, right to the point, if only we could open a bottle of acetaminophen? And super to hear about your workshops, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen and amen. Love this whole post...can't wait to hear more about Highlights! Yes, our world has fevers...we need to love it back to health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for fireworks on getting to teach poetry! And for getting to Highlights for a workshop! Wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crash! Boom! Bam! Celebrating your growth (Highlights workshop) and accomplishments (Studio poetry workshops) with you, Heidi. The tangible connection between a child's experience with a fever to our global catastrophe is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, congratulations on your endeavors and any new learning. I like that your environmental poem is directed at children. "Let's give the earth a rest." YES!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sentiment of your poem. What a great analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, "Let's give the world a rest." And we sure are feeling it everywhere between all the bad air days and torrential down pouring rains… Glad your workshop was fruitful, thanks for your caring poem!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!