Friday, November 10, 2023

moon-mad



Greetings, PF Friends--a quick one today, just to highlight a poem I used in my new WHISPERshout Workshop this week.  We were reading and writing moon poems, and while I haven't gotten my hands on Irene's THE MUSEUM ON THE MOON yet...






I do have this anthology collected by Roger Stevens and published by the British press Otter-Barry. In it I found a really great poem for helping kids to notice a range of poetry techniques.






Grace Nichols, a Guyanese-born poet, is an unsung hero here States-side, but is quite famous in England.  Listen for the Caribbean rhythms here.


Look at the moon!

A crescent sky-ship sailing

out of a cloudy cocoon


Look at the moon!

A cauldron of amber

spelling, rain-come-soon


 Each group had fun marking up the poem (which I admit I abridged to make it fit on the chart paper!).  And what do you think about that comma?  Is it a typo?


We're making pinhole art (mine below) and writing about it, and there will certainly be an issue of WHISPERshout Poetry Magazine dedicated to it! 




Go here to read the most recent, October issue of the magazine if you haven't yet, and don't forget to tell the young poets you may know that their poems are welcome and can be submitted using this form.



Thanks to Karen for hosting us at her shockingly clever blog, and I'll see you next week from NCTE--WHEEEE!

13 comments:

  1. What a fun art project! So nice to hear of you busy and happy and deep into poetry. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting project! And that comma ... hmmm! I love your pinhole project as well. I have been writing some moon poems myself lately. It amazes me how much there is to be said about the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose she wants the pause that a comma brings, Heidi. It looks like you and the kids are having a good, enthusiastic, time! I love seeing another moon book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous - this post has me moon- and poem-struck. What glorious words, and I can hear the "ringin' tones" of the Caribbean, which is why my vote is yes to the comma. Maybe not technically correct grammatically, but that pause musically... ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Heidi, nice post! I love that poem, and I can see all the joy you and your students had with it. In my opinion, Nichols' comma is intended and is a magical "spelling" or spell. "A cauldron of amber spelling" and the spell cast by that moon is "rain-come-soon" What a fun question to ask. Is the comma a typo or intentional. It sure makes us read more carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you must have the best job in the world -- building poetry muscles with children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Patricia about your job! And what lucky children to have you as their teacher. This poem is perfect for noticing poetic techniques. Do you mind if I share it with my students this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. However would I *mind*?! Of course, spread the riches!!

      Delete
  8. Love this! You are doing amazing things with young poets, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is much joy in this post. What a great art project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooooh! pin-hole art looks relaxing and fun. What a wonderful Whisper-Shout this next edition will be. Safe travels to NCTE. I can't wait to hear all the goodness that comes from the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chat topluluğumuz size yeni arkadaşlar edinme ve diğer insanlarla güzel anları paylaşma fırsatı verir.https://www.gevezeyeri.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!