Friday, January 5, 2024

the elfchen celebrate

Happy New Year, poetry friends, and may it be filled with the breath of peace within and without!

It's the first Friday of January and so the Inklings are tackling a challenge set by yours truly.  I gave my fellow Inklings, said a person at a craft night who spent her time there ordering gifts on the internet, "the gift of HOMEWORK?!"  It was on the order of an Advent calendar, with little doors to open, but instead of chocolates or stickers or Legos or big words (I made that for my kids one year), it had POETRY PROMPTS.

And not just any poetry prompts.  Since I am no longer Christian (though I grew up as the PK of a Lutheran minister) but a pagan-flavored UU, at my house we celebrate what you might call a portmanteau winter holiday called Yuletide.  There's a special candle tree and, of course, ritual words to say each night as we light one more candle celebrating a gift of the human spirit, starting on the Winter Solstice, December 21 and lasting 12 days until January 1st. Here's a slightly abridged version of the words, which my kids (24 and 21) of course know by heart. 



For the challenge, I asked everyone to "pick one prompt that appeals and address it however you like!" As the instigator of the challenge and of the whole Diwakwanhanumas enchilada, I felt compelled to answer all 12 prompts, but the darling (and moreish) Elfchen helped me keep it doable.  Here I go, letting my light shine! (There are a couple you saw last week.)







I hope you'll go and see how the other Inklings selected and addressed these prompts--it will be a complete surprise for me, since we haven't met since Yuletide started.  Let's thank Marcie at her eponymous blog for ushering us into the New Year!


Catherine @ Reading to the Core
Mary Lee Hahn @ A(nother) Year of Reading 
Molly Hogan @ Nix the Comfort Zone
Linda Mitchell @ A Word Edgewise
Margaret Simon @ Reflections on the Teche


14 comments:

  1. Heidi, what a lovely tradition! So many winners here, and I am especially loving the assortment of cavortment this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your candle tree is great. Thanks for sharing your Yuletide traditions with us. (I think I will make a big word calendar sometime for fun.) I adore your laughter in rhyme poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, I am so intrigued by your traditions! Thank you for your openness and sharing. Your collection of poems are all great – the lobe made me smile. I am wondering if you have thought about assembling this into a book about your traditions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- First can I just say I wanna say some day I'm no longer Christian? And to then manifest all the goodness and possibility of living out that statement with such a beautiful Yuletide tradition, and to GIFT this not just to your family, but to your poetry friends, and now to people you don't really even know (me!) -- This is inspiration to grasp hold of and run with, Heidi. Besides the incredibles of "your stable/privilege" , CAVORTMENT (omg -love that), and the hyperbole of optimism -- Thank you, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the whole Diwakwanhanumas enchilada" -- I am literally laughing out loud! Brilliant!! As for your poems...I love them all.
    Here is my poem for taking optimism to ridiculous lengths:

    all
    will be
    well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for a FANTASTIC (and beautiful) challenge!

      Delete
  6. These are just delightful. I love that repetition... Must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness...so many short but strong poems. Wonderful. 'Giggle,' actually makes me giggle...and yes, let's plan more playtime! Thank you for inviting us to participate in your tradition. I am richer for it. Happy New Year, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these prompts. And I love all of the sun poems that came out of the sun prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Heidi. Fabulous gift to us and then Wow! Another gift in your fabulous responses, as each of these elfchens is truly a gift to unwrap and savor, each with its own unique flavor, too. What a model for how to push a form in all different directions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all these poems, Heidi. If I had to pick a favorite I think it would be the laughter one. Assortment of cavortment is such fun to say! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are funny and so smart. I love the patience elfchen and the one codifying intellect and of course others. I enjoyed reading about U.U. which we have been thinking about. I was raised Methodist but not happy about the way religion has been hijacked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't pick a favorite! I felt as if I was unwrapping gifts (Diwakwanhanumas gifts!) as I read through all your creations, Heidi. What inventive challenges. Happy new year! May your light shine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet and tender poem for your loving paws, and they are awful cute there together too—wishing you many adventures with pause this year, thanks Sally!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!