Friday, January 16, 2015

pick up an object: spoon poem




I liked
Amy's idea and Hope's spoon
so much last Friday
that it carried me
like a weebling egg
to this:




Scoop

scoop of my heart
in a crude wooden spoon
scoop of my heart
soured and soon

there will be nothing left
no sweetness or cream
bowl will be empty
empty will dream

of scoops of white foam
spoonfuls of fizz
filling my heartbowl
where yearning is

HM 2015
all rights reserved


Go live at Live Your Poem today with Irene and the rest of the Poetry Friday crowd.  How I miss you all between Fridays!

10 comments:

  1. Love how circular this feels, Heidi - just like yearning itself. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your "heartbowl" !! LOVE. Such a great word, "scoop." Thank you for this wonderment this morning! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "empty will dream"
    oh, and a "heartbowl"
    This has magic, and I feel so lucky to be connected to it in that poem-to-poem way! Happy happy PF, my friend! xo, a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. Yes, it seems to have the never ending forward momentum of yearning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it, Heidi. I like the repetition of sounds, the movement, the new words, the pang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, Heidi, those "scoops of white foam/spoonfuls of fizz", elusive and ephemeral. Love that you connected to Amy's post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this poem! Your rhymes are very Kay Ryan-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The circular nature of this poem made me read again and again. The longing, the dreaming. Thanks for the links and introducing me to this idea of pick up an object and write. Great for kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I echo everyone's sentiments here - loved the heartbowl most of all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!