Thursday, August 13, 2015

poetry friday the 14th

not that I would ever carve a tree...
Welcome one and all!  I suspect we may be a small group this week--last summer flings and all--but I also know that many of us Poetry Friday faithfuls are educators who are beginning to gear up for a new year.  This should be true for me too, but I'm holding on tooth-and-nail to "empty" summer days during which I decide what and when!  Here's a NoNotYet poem to fit that feeling....



No! Not Yet

Bare still feeting, not done yet;
peach still sweeting, not done yet!
Fan still ceiling, not done yet;
rod still reeling, not done yet!

Button snoozing,
Bug bites oozing,
Ball still foozing--
No! not yet…

Cone still snowing, not done yet;
kart still going, not done yet!
Corn still cobbing, not done yet;
odd still jobbing, not done yet.

Summer camping,
skateboard ramping,
swimsuit damping--
No! not yet…

Board still diving, not done yet;
bees still hiving, not done yet.
Beach still waving, not done yet;
Heart still braving, not done yet.

Rock band forming,
early warming,
thunder storming--
No! not yet…

Burn still sunning, not done yet;
Nerf still gunning, not done yet!
Fair still wheeling, not done yet;
bases stealing, not done yet!

Firepit smoking,
knock-knock joking,
cousin poking--
No! not yet…

Cards still warring, not done yet;
night still starring, not done yet.
Fireworks booming, not done yet;
Moon still blooming, not done yet!

It can’t be over--
                   No, not yet!
(My summer
homework’s
     not 
            done
                      yet.)


-Heidi Mordhorst 2015
  all rights reserved

Where are you in the wheel of the year?  Clicking slowly and deliciously up-up-up to the first day of school, ready to ride that roller coaster, or noticing already the drawing in of the evening light, the scatter of yellow leaves on the still-green lawn?  Or perhaps you are good at being smack in the middle of the moment...your post should give us a clue!

Thanks for joining in this week, the last week of the Summer Poem Swap--I look forward to sharing the riches I received next Friday.  Now then, click below to leave your link for all to follow!

31 comments:

  1. I'm so slow, Heidi. I almost asked if you realized your poem wasn't showing up. Duh. Now I get it:>) Savor your last days of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's showing up now, Laura--I hope you can come back to read it! So excited to revisit Magnetic Poetry....

      Delete
    2. Heidi, this is glorious! One of my favorites of yours--ever. That first stanza and then the moon blooming especially got to me.

      Delete
  2. Happy winding-down days! We've been super busy at the library all summer long and now it's time for me to start planning a vacation--as far away from people as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing something right if the library has been that busy! Enjoy your interlude of solitude!

      Delete
  3. Heidi, your poem is really speaking to me today. My son left for college this morning. I suspect, no matter when he left, I'd have that "not done yet" feeling. I especially loved your "ball still foozing" line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee. One of the things I do feel pretty done with right now is parenting the son and his summer homework...but I will feel exactly as you do when that time comes, I'm sure. Good work, Mom!

      Delete
  4. Great poem, Heidi - sounds like me! Between the beaching and the gardening and the two-young kids-ing, I've barely had enough to write...but fortunately, I've had just enough time to crank out two more PB manuscripts, one of which I'm currently revising. That said, I have no post today, but I am sharing my most recent post, my interview with Rebecca Kai Dotlich. Hope you're enjoying your summer as much as your poem makes it seem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful poem Heidi. I love the use of repetition and the shift in rhythm between the two stanza patterns. In my part of the world it is winter, with just a few hints around that spring might be actually coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that poem is so YOU, Heidi! Turning words inside-out and upside-down as always, and expressing what many of us are feeling about having to let go of summer. (Ours has been winding up with lots of family excitement, as I celebrate in my post along with some classic poetry this week!) Thanks for hosting, and have a great start to school. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems we're sharing similar head space this week, Heidi. I love your poem! I, too, am in a NoNotYet frame of mind. More button snoozing, pleeeeeeeeeease...? One more week for us until the kids go back to school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heidi, not done yet is a great line that expresses your zest for summer days that want to linger. Today was one of those absolutely beautiful days on Long Island that should have never stopped. Rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the poem! Definitely reminds me how I felt when summer was coming to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the poem, Heidi. I touch on a similar theme... though from a totally different approach. It's like there's something in the air....

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so far from summer homework being done yet that it is scary! Looove your clever poem, Heidi! Thanks for hosting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that poem, Heidi! Very clever. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This poem is suuuch fun to read and captures our hearts at the end of August. Taking three teens on vacation in a week with summer homework to do, this one gave me a giggle. 'Can't wait to show it to them! Thank you for hosting today.

    At The Poem Farm, I have a link back in time - we're off to DC for a family baby shower, so I'm just sharing an oldie.

    Happy summer days!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, yes...this poem resonates. I'm looking at the summer homestretch, it's back to the real world next Sunday. Thanks for hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this poem, Heidi! It captures what I am feeling at this moment. Thank you for hosting, and enjoy these last days of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm humming my own verse to go along with the "No! Not yet..." chorus. LOVE your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a great poem! I remember feeling that way. Since retirement, my summer stretches on just a bit longer on both ends, so I don't get quite the same feeling as when teaching. But I still hate to see the winter approaching.

    Again - wonderful, wonderful poem. Loved the playfulness of the words - another refusal to be ready to get down to business!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun poem, Heidi! Love that "corn still cobbing." :) Our youngest starts back to school on Monday, so we are loving him up this weekend for sure. Happy Poetry Friday, and thanks for hosting! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't want to be done with summer yet, but my English teacher husband is already back at school, and we are feeling the pain of having said good-bye to empty summer days. :) My college girls will start school soon, but Ramona and I still have the freedom to hold out until after Labor Day, and that we shall do! :) Happy last days of summer, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous poem. I'm never done with summer, but every year, it's done with me and then there's winter. And thank you for hosting Poetry Friday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic poem, Heidi! "Not done yet" could be the refrain for so many things in our lives. Thanks for hosting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. My selection for today is "Fireflies at Midnight" by Marilyn Singer with pictures by Ken Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the poem, Heidi. Hope you eek out every last bit of summer glory.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful poem, Heidi! No, I'm not ready yet. Even with no kids at home, I'm still not ready yet!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your poem, Heidi! As a kid, I was really torn - thrilled to be going back to school, but hanging on to summer like my life depended on it. We've had such a hot summer in Seattle, I'm more than ready to let it go...except for the county fair next week...and the picnics...and swmming at the lake a little more...and enjoying the fresh summer harvest...and...and...[My post is up so late today...but what's new? I seem to be last one at the table now, for months.]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!