Tuesday, June 14, 2011

speaking of walt







I've just come across this article http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/12/us-usa-civilwar-whitman-idUSTRE73B7QU20110412, which explains better to me why a nearby high school is called Walt Whitman and why the following lines adorn an entrance to the Dupont Circle Metro station:

Thus in silence in dreams' projections,

Returning, resuming, I thread my way through the hospitals;

The hurt and wounded I pacify with soothing hand,

I sit by the restless all dark night - some are so young;

Some suffer so much - I recall the experience sweet and sad...


Walt Whitman, from Leaves of Grass, 1876


Somehow I'd missed the deep USGOV connection...3000 documents!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great article! Thanks for pointing us to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!