Sunday, April 24, 2016

npm pmmu #24: prince, of course

Tabatha's been following my match-ups as well as the news, and suggested a perhaps lesser known hit by our lost treasure, Prince. This is the best linkable version I could find.


"Diamonds and Pearls" from the album of the same name
by Prince and the New Power Generation, 1991

Her poetry match is this short, beautifully wrought poem by Yeats: 

          Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven | W.B. Yeats

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,   
Enwrought with golden and silver light,   
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths   
Of night and light and the half light,   
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;   
I have spread my dreams under your feet;   
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
A hundred years apart, both artists have spread their golden and silver, blue and purple dreams under our feet.

Prince's lyrics:

This will be the day
That you will hear me say
That I will never run away
I am here for you
Love is meant for two
Now tell me what you're gonna do
 
If I gave you diamonds and pearls
Would you be a happy boy or a girl
If I could I would give you the world
But all I can do is just offer you my love
 
Which one of us is right
If we always fight
Why can't we just let love decide (let love decide)
Am I the weaker man
Because I understand
That love must be the master plan (love is the master plan)
 
If I gave you diamonds and pearls
Would you be a happy boy or a girl
If I could I would give you the world
All I can do is just offer you my love



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!