Thursday, April 28, 2016

npm: the Progressive Poem is here (with bonus music!)

Welcome, all who journey line by line!
          Welcome, all who seek to read the signs!


For those who don't know what the Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem is, welcome to a yearly event conceived and hosted by poet Irene Latham.  Each day the poem travels to a different blog, and each blogger adds his or her line.


Our poem grows here thought by thought;
Does it build or turn or what?
The only way to know's below.
I toss my line into the flow...

But I'll admit, it's been quite a bit more deliberate than that word "toss" suggests.  I've struggled to find and flow with the current of this one, dear poets, and now I shall dare to boldly, brashly reconstruct the whole darn thing through the use of a title and some powerful punctuation.

Is mine the last word?  Oh, no, indeed!  Tomorrow's poet may see things very differently, and if I've overstepped in supplying a title before the end, all should feel free to ignore it.  I'm down with that.  But I myself needed a clearer structure to proceed, so here goes: a dialogue.

*******************************************
West Wind Dreams of Taking Shape

A squall of hawk wings stirs the sky.
A hummingbird holds and then hies.
“If I could fly, I’d choose to be
Sailing through a forest of poet-trees.”


A cast of crabs engraves the sand
Delighting a child’s outstretched hand.
"If I could breathe under the sea,
I’d dive, I’d dip, I’d dance with glee."


A clump of crocuses craves the sun.
Kites soar while joyful dogs run.
"I sing to spring, to budding green,
to all of life – seen and unseen."


     Wee whispers drift from cloud to ear
     and finally reach one divining seer
     who looks up from her perch and beams —
     "West Wind is dreaming May, it seems."


"Golden wings open and gleam
as I greet the prancing team.
Gliding aside with lyrical speed,
I’d ride Pegasus to Ganymede."


To a pied pocket, the zephyr returns.
      Blowing soft words the seer discerns
     from earthbound voyage to dreamy night,
     "The time is now.  I give you flight!"



"Yet I fear I am no kite or bird–
I lift! The world below me blurred

by tears of joy.  I spiral high,
I hum, I dive, I dip, I hive!"

********************************************
The list of those who have contributed to this wonder of a poem is below, and I pass West Wind on to Sheila Renfro....And now for the bonus music! Today's Poetry-Music Match-Up takes us way back to 1972 or so, when I learned to play a junior version of this on the piano as a gift for Mother's Day.



Will Sheila grant West Wind a new shape, or take a wild waggle in another direction?  And what of the seer?  Stay tuned, friends, for the building finale!



2016 KIDLITOSPHERE PROGRESSIVE POEM

April

2  Joy at Joy Acey
3  Doraine at Dori Reads
4  Diane at Random Noodling
5  Penny at A Penny and Her Jots
6  Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink
8  Janet F. at Live Your Poem
9  Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
10  Pat at Writer on a Horse
11  Buffy at Buffy's Blog
12  Michelle at Today's Little Ditty
13  Linda at TeacherDance
14  Jone at Deo Writer
15  Matt at Radio, Rhythm & Rhyme
16  Violet at Violet Nesdoly
17  Kim at Flukeprints
18  Irene at Live Your Poem
19  Charles at Charles Waters Poetry
21  Jan at Bookseedstudio
23  Ramona at Pleasures from the Page
24  Amy at The Poem Farm
25  Mark at Jackett Writes
26  Renee at No Water River
27  Mary Lee at Poetrepository
29  Sheila at Sheila Renfro
30  Donna at Mainely Write
 

14 comments:

  1. HA! You made the progressive poem behave by punctuating it, and then do double duty as a music match-up! Perfect song!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have tamed the west wind and the poem with punctuation and title--very nice. And I love your 4-verb line (who knew that hive could be a verb? not me.)


    Windy was my first ever record purchase--at Woolworth's, back in the day (and by the day I think late 60s?) when twelve year olds rode the bus with their friends and hung out downtown.) Thanks for bringing back that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting turn of events, Heidi! I like your bold maneuvering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very west-winderly of you, Heidi! Well played... and I do love your introduction-to-progressive-poem lines as well. And now I shall "hive." :) THANK You! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun line--love your verbs and near rhyme! And the punctuation you added to help make sense of previous lines. So smart:>)

    And I have a music/poem matchup. "Trees," by Joyce Kilmer (today's Your Daily Poem--http://www.yourdailypoem.com/listpoem.jsp?poem_id=2189) and "The Way I Feel," by Gordon Lightfoot. I adore that song and the whole love/tree analogy.

    "The way I feel is like a robin
    Whose babes have flown to come no more
    Like a tall oak tree alone and cryin'
    When the birds have flown and the nest is bare"

    and

    "Your coat of green, it will protect her
    Her wings will grow, your love will too"

    Audio at https://youtu.be/AMOgpau2nkE

    Trees make a great metaphor for so many things! Happy Poetry Month, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got my work cut for me! I The Association! Love the title too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't head that song since before my kids, Heidi. Love that you've found a "character" for us who's zipping, and "hiving" around. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. I think my prospective last line will still work.... Let's see tomorrow. Loved that I had to look up the verb "hive" in this context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm again...I didn't look it up; I just MADE it up!

      Delete
  9. Ah, the title and punctuation clear some things up for me. Who knew we were writing about the wind? Or were we?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you made up hive, Heidi! I have to admit that my first stop after reading your line was dictionary.com! I thought it was so clever but wanted to see the verb definition...but since you made it up, I'm just going to using my imagination for the verb hive!

    I like your structure! And thanks for the bonus music :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the music of your internal rhyme! One can sense the motion of flying through the air, but I wonder what will happen tomorrow, if the character is hiving (finding shelter)...who knows where Sheila will take us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I hive" - that is SO you, Heidi. Great line! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like what you've done, Heidi! A tiny bit of an ego thing from me since you uaed some elegant (talking geometric proof definition here) repetition of my line! This line from a favorite recitation poem, "Harvest Home," uses hive as a verb: "Yes, hive your honey little hummer/ the woods are waving,'farewell, summer.' " I love your version and play on Joy's "hies." Clever all around. In DC for NLAPW "Pen Women" convention.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!