Thursday, December 29, 2016

haiku catch-up




Holiday travel this year--all the way to Seaford, England, courtesy of Grandma Treeze. I've just about managed to stick with the daily #haikuforhealing, which also serves as a sort of December diary.  Here's what those not following on Twitter may have missed.

12.29
each morning we wake
to see what star is fallen
sky blues anyway

..and Carrie and Debbie and...






12.28
south downs: more like ups
here at the seven sisters
mutton on the hoof




 
12.27
chilli pickle
thali platter mutton curry:
brighton highlight


12.26
boxing day:
let's celebrate by letting
everyone out


12.25
misty, moisty
Christmas Day--sea breeze
whips the walled garden


12.24
airplane universe:
chorus of voices
fails to reach Syria

singers

12.23
airport universe:
some of everyone shining
in long weary lines

 


12.21
revelling late
the shortest day becomes
the longest day ever






12.19
rogue elector
I *choose* to shop at the discount store
at rush hour
          Electoral College


12.18
haiku harmony
arranging layered words we
rage and marvel on

Reflections on the Teche  and read the comments


12.17
winter traditions:
devised by peasants with no
fields to plow, no school?
          (The more I wanted to just sleep from 6pm until 7am, the more there was to do...)


I'm posting early this week because we'll be busy overnight with visiting rellies.  Thanks to  Donna at Mainely Write for hosting.  See you in 2017!

15 comments:

  1. What excellent haiku. I feel I've glimpsed your life. I like that midwinter is one time that parents can spoil their children and no one complains. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sea breeze whipping the walled garden and the great word choice throughout! How delightful to journal your journey in haiku! Wishing you a wonderful 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This daily practice captures the fleeting moments and deep thoughts. Happy New Year! Are you choosing a One Little Word this year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A haiku travel journal! Thank you. i love it. Wishing you more poems and more adventures in 2017! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an incredible experience! Your line about the Downs being more like ups made me laught out loud. :-) Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to record your trip! I'm partial to boxing day. It strikes a chord. Wishing you brighter days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a joy writing with you this month, Heidi! My favorites here are 12/26 and 12/29. I'm glad you could close out 2016 with family, friends, and overseas adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great trip journal! My favorite is also Boxing Day. Happy New Year (wherever you are)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of the haiku being kind of journalistic. Maybe I'll make it a goal for next year! (at least a weekly one?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful way to remember your journey--thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stuff! The first one was my favorite. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing these snippets of your trip, Heidi. I especially love "misty, moisty/Christmas day..." That nursery rhyme was a favorite for some reason. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just absolutely taken with these daily haiku. When I studied in England, I often made a list of images and experiences from the day. I was too busy and too tired to do much more. But the lists were specific and evocative to me, each line held a story. You've elevated it to an art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heidi, it was a pleasure to see your haikus lined up here for us to read and reread. Hasn't this been a marvelous month of writing with friends? 12.24 is touching.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!