Thursday, April 16, 2020

npm2020: poetry videos day 15 "Solar-Powered Sun Puppet"

My National Poetry Month Project 2020 is to record a short video each day in April, presenting my published poems to poetry lovers of all ages.

Today's poem tries to capture just how powerfully the sun determines my mood and energy--and how low I go when it's cloudy and grey.  Are you like that too?



Solar-Powered Sun Puppet


the dark side of me
glowers inside
drags at the tips of my toes

it feeds on clouds
on rainy skies
and only my shadow knows:

how heavy
the day is
how low the horizon
how sodden
and sad
I am                   

then sweet sun punches a hole in the clouds
sizzles and swims in my eyes
my shadow spills out through a hole in my sole
my darker side hung out to dry

howbrilliantthedayis!
howhighthebluesky!
how sudden and mad I am!

I’m sunny side up
I’m pumped full of light 
my silhouette dances on walls

Now I can see clearly:
                           my dark doppelganger
                           freed by the sun's high call

my demon cast out, my shadow of doubt
is the shadow that shows that I am

2 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful to hear you read your poems, Heidi. I've been feeling sunny-side down lately, but your brilliant day and blue sky cheered me up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining in the wild rumpus!